Energy Performance Certificate law is changing. Are you covered?

The rules around EPCs are changing and you need to act now to avoid incurring fines.

An F or G rating means that it is unlawful for you to let your property and a low rating of C to E could impact your properties market value and the ability to generate attractive rental income.

Commercial EPC’s

Commercial EPC’s show the efficiency of a Building in graph format and comes with a separate Recommendation Report.

  • A Commercial EPC is required by Law if Selling, Renting or Leasing a building - Some Buildings are Exempt.
  • Fines for Non-compliance, imposed by Trading Standards. The Building Owner is responsible.
  • Requires a Building inspection by a Qualified assessor.
  • The Certificate is Valid for 10 years.
  • All Commercial buildings are classified as either Level 3, 4 or 5. A Commercial EPC can only be produced by an appropriately Qualified Assessor Level (NDEA) who must be registered with a Government approved accreditation scheme.
  • Also known as Non-Domestic EPC or Commercial Energy Performance Certificate.

Minimum Energy Efficiency Standards

The MEES Regulations will be enforced by Local Weights and Measures Authorities (LWMAs). LWMAs will have powers to impose civil penalties which are set by reference to the property's rateable value.


Need for an EPC

Domestic properties require an EPC (Energy Performance Certificate) upon letting or sale. This Certificate needs to be in place at the commencement of marketing. This includes flats and houses that are self-contained.

EPCs last for 10 years and must be renewed at the end of this period.

Display Energy Certificates

All larger public buildings will require an annual Display Energy Certificate (DEC) highlighting their energy performance. This is to be displayed prominently in a place visible to the public. These buildings will also require an Advisory Report (AR) providing recommendations for energy improvements each seven years

  • DEC shows the actual efficiency of a Building using existing consumption figures and useable area of the building.
  • Shows the operational rating of a Building in graph format and is accompanied by an Advisory Report.
  • Display Energy Certificate legally required if all the following are true ;
    • Public Building
    • Frequently visited by members of the public
    • Building size over 250m2
  • Display Energy Certificate & Separate Advisory Report required.
  • Must be displayed in a prominent place within the public building.
  • Can only be produced by an Public Buildings Assessor (PBEA) who is registered with a Government approved accreditation scheme.
  • Display Certificate renewed every 12 months and a new Advisory report every 7 years.
  • Fines for non-compliance, imposed by Trading Standards. Requires a Building inspection by a qualified assessor, assessor uses energy consumption figures to determine rating.

Why do you need an EPC? When is an EPC required?

You must provide the EPC to a prospective tenant or buyer no later than the actual viewing and it must be included with any other written information provided. A penalty is incurred if you fail to make an EPC available to prospective tenants or buyers. The rate is 12.5% of the value of the property (minimum of £500 to a maximum of £5,000).

We're here to help you. Contact us.

Call Free 0800 0385 422
or call 0208 559 1066

ACT ON CO2 CARBON TRUST Communities and Local Government OEA - Organisation of Energy Assessors